On #World_Water_Day Rememberring Gram Swaraj Foundation’s last five years efforts on Water Conservation in Drought affected Rural India! Proud to be a part of amazing team!
Why Gram Swaraj Foundation working on Water Conservation? Here is the Answer:-
1) One in nine people around the world do not have access to clean #water close to home, and 60% of the world’s population lives in areas of water stress, where the water supply cannot or will not continue to meet demand via Governments Water supply system!
2) Today, 844 million people are living without access to safe water, while 2.3 billion people are living without access to improved sanitation.
3) Globally, over 80% of the wastewater generated by society flows back into the ecosystem without being treated or reused. (Sato et al, 2013)
4) 1.8 billion people use a source of drinking water contaminated with faeces, putting them at risk of contracting cholera, dysentery, typhoid and polio. Unsafe water, poor sanitation and hygiene cause around 842,000 deaths each year. (WHO/UNICEF 2014/WHO 2014)
5) The opportunities from exploiting wastewater as a resource are enormous. Safely managed wastewater is an affordable and sustainable source of water, energy, nutrients and other recoverable materials.
The above facts keep Inspired us for more hard work!
-Mukesh Kumar ( Gram Swaraj Foundation )